Chettinad Fried Chicken
Recipe for preparing Chettinad Fried Chicken (Chettinad Varutha Kozhi). This recipe is based on Chef.Dhamodharan’s(chef.dhamu) recipe.
- Chicken – 1/2 kg
- Garlic – 1 whole
- Ginger – 50gm
- Red Chilli – 4 -5
- Fennel Seeds – 2tsp
- Pepper – 2tsp
- Green Chilli – 2
- Onion – 150gm
- Tomato – 100gm
- Curry leaves – 2sprig
- Besan flour – 1/2 cup
- Coconut – 1/4
- Salt – to taste
- Cut chicken into small pieces and wash it well.
- Dry fry whole pepper, red chilli, fennel seeds, curry leaves and coconut and grind it as a fine paste.
- Marinate the chicken using ground paste, ginger garlic paste and 1tbsp oil and required salt. Let this sit for 20 minutes.
- Prepare batter by mixing besan flour, pepper powder, salt and water and consistency of the batter should be like bajji batter consisitency. If you want you can can add rice flour and Appa Soda with this batter.
- Heat enough oil in a frying pan. Once its hot enough, dip the marinated chicken pieces in the batter and deep fry it in oil till it turns into golden brown color.
- Heat 1tbsp oil in another pan.Add chopped onion, fry it till it turns into golden brown color.
- Add green chilli, curry leaves, tomato and saute it till its half done.
- Add fried chicken pieces with this masala and mix it well. Garnishes with coriander leaves.