- Idly Rice – 1 cup
- Raw Rice – 1 cup
- Urad dal – 1 cup
- Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tspn
- Whole Pepper – 1/2 tspn
- Hing – 1/4 tspn
- Curry leaves – few
- Shredded Ginger – 1/4 tspn
- Ghee – 2tspn
- Sesame Oil – 2 tspn
- Salt – 1/2 tspn
- Soak Idli rice, Raw rice together and urad dal separately for 2 hours.
- Then grind urad dal separately as 3/4 th done. Dont grind it nicely.
- Then grind idli rice and rice coarsely.
- Then mix urad dal batter and rice batter, add salt and ferment it overnight.
- Coarse grind cumin seeds and pepper.
- Heat Oil and ghee in a pan. Add shredded ginger, cumin and pepper powder, hing, curry leaves and fry it for 1/2 a minute.
- Then Pour this mix into the batter and mix it well. After 1 hour make idlis using idli pan.
Kanchipuram Idli goes well with Coconut Chutney and Sambar.